Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

NaPoWriMo #28 - Poem in My Pocket

I am off prompt today. This one stemmed from something I was sent from the Academy of American Poets -- about tomorrow being "Poem in Your Pocket Day." You are supposed to carry small printed copies of your favourite poems and hand them out. Something about the title hit me, and so...

Poem in My Pocket

Sometimes it lies quietly
lurking in the corner
invisible if you look directly
at it

Sometimes it leaps
screaming, shouting
“Pay attention
to me

And sometimes it slithers
along, a snake in the grass
slippery and smooth
forked tongue flicking
in out

Yet, always it is there
in my pocket, tucked
in tightly, immoveable

As if I would want to

And yet, I must approach
it on its terms, only
on its terms, only
when I am deemed
worthy.

So, I am the poem
in my pocket’s
willing
porter

3 comments:

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, I like this!

Unknown said...

OK, we'll let you off for not being on prompt!
"And sometimes it slithers/along, a snake in the grass"
you must have big pockets!!

Lori said...

Thanks Andy!
And Derrick, my proverbial pockets are vast and varied! :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think. Please feel free to comment.