Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Saturday, April 17, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day #17 - Water

NaPoWriMo #17

Today's prompt asked us to examine an element. I wanted, at first, to write about fire or earth -- both of which have personal meaning to me -- but I was drawn to water instead. I am fairly sure this is not a finished poem. I want to expand the imagery more and make the voice more personal, but it needs time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Water

You hovered above me
In the beginning, stirring my surface
Sounding my depth
You filled me, making me
fruitful and fertile

In the garden, I flowed out
From Your presence
You wielded my waves
To wash the world
And made a covenant
With Your servant

The maiden fed the camels
Who thirsted for me
And I became your symbol

Blood supplanted me in the Nile
When Your people were enslaved
And I parted to let them through

At your servant’s command
I flooded from the rock
In the desert, despite disobedience,
And soaked the calf that still burned
When You moved

And when You came,
Small and vulnerable
I bathed You, fed You
When You thirsted

And in Your mission here
You used me again
Transforming me to wine
For the wedding guests
At Your mother’s request

You walked on me to demonstrate
Your power to the fearful
And Your words calmed me

At Your command I stir
Rivers and oceans
Carve ravines and well up
By Your design I nourish
All that is
And in me, Your followers
Are reborn
And soon, to me, You will again lead
The redeemed

7 comments:

markoolio said...

Beautiful sentiments. I like your meandering through history and the sensual text of water, from the powerful to the sublime. Really beautiful. If you haven't seen the DVD "The Mystery of Water" I highly recommend it. Water, like a photographers film, carries the memories of the earth. Absolutely amazing DVD.

Great stuff, Lori! :-)

~Mark

markoolio said...

I am also a big fan of the beautiful poetry of Don Blanding who lived in Hawaii most of his life where he captures the absolutely beautiful flora, fauna, and people of Hawaii. Blanding was also an amazing illustrator who drew along side his poetry. One of my favorite Blanding books is called "Memory Room."

Lori said...

Thanks Mark. I will check out the DVD and book for sure! I love your suggestions for reading. I am always up for more reading!!

Unknown said...

This is very beautiful, Lori and I couldn't presume to offer any suggestions!

Lori said...

Derrick, you are far too kind.

flaubert said...

Lori,
This is enticing! Well penned.
Pamela

Carolee said...

i love the line in this -- "at your mother's request". it gives a very human touch to this, which otherwise seems so much of the heavens (in a good way; i like the mix!).

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think. Please feel free to comment.