Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Sunday, April 4, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day 4 - Inside Out: A Conversation

Inside Out: A Conversation

Come in, out of the weather
Don’t forget to wipe your feet
The welcome mat is right there
Oh, I know I shouldn’t remind you.

But I don’t want mud tracked through

Won’t you sit and take
tea, two lumps isn’t it?
So lovely to see you again.

Why yes, that is the latest addition
I have been working night and day
To add that last bit of cholesterol
In just the right place

Would you like to take a tour?
On your left just behind
The pulmonary valve is my heart

Its been broken so many times
It has patches and fixes galore
And still it goes on
Ticking and waiting to be broken again

Oh, that isn’t the case. It isn’t a matter
Of wanting to be broken,
It is what happens

Let’s continue, shall we?
On your right are the lungs
They have been giving me some
Trouble lately, but I am hoping
For the best

Yes, that is a new space there.
No, I don’t have anything to fill it.
Please, don’t worry, the tears will pass.

Besides, it isn’t as if there has never
Been anything there. It has been filled
Twice, with beautiful results

Shall we go back to our tea? I don’t
Feel up to much more right now

Yes, I guess the windows here are quite lovely,
Or so I have been told before.

I don’t know why the emptiness bothers
Me so. It was a planned move. It was giving
Me no end of trouble. But now, I just cannot find
Something suitable to plant there.
It is as if nothing can be as beautiful as what has grown there before.

I don’t want to seem ungrateful though.
Do you see there, through the window?
Do you see them playing?
Thank you so much. I do think they are gorgeous.
My breathtaking children.

No, I hadn’t thought of that
I hadn’t thought
Of it like that. My emptiness
As a gift.
You always know just what to say.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This makes me feel teary. So beautifully written. Wish we could sit and drink tea, with two sugars.

Wayne Pitchko said...

not confusing to me.....nicely done

Carla Richards said...

this is so beautiful. the style contrasts with the topic and i like that a lot. it's like it sneaks in and touches the heart.

Lori said...

Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think. Please feel free to comment.