Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Friday, April 16, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day #16 My Caffeinated Love Affair

Today's prompt was from Julie Jordan Scott. She started with a quote from Diane Ackerman which was so incredibly beautiful that it made it hard to write today. “Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines hidden under the weedy mass of years.” Scott says: "Practicing the art of writing from the sense of smell will open language in a different way than writing from a more “language friendly” sense, like the sense of sight or sound. Because of this, writing that uses a scent prompt evokes visceral, richly experienced poetry."

She was right. I am not sure this is complete "keeper" but the ideas are good and I am happy with some of the images. If you can't tell from this, I love coffee. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to partake, but I still think the aroma is ambrosia. Seriously. I mean every word here.

My Caffeinated Love Affair

I remember my first encounter
Your acrid tendrils tickling seducing
Your tang burning engraving itself on my psyche

I remember so many seasons since
Your incense lingers in dialogues
Of philosophy, literature, relationships

Cloying, your aroma coincides
With the deepest friendships
The longest lonelinesses

I remember your comfort while I cried
I remember your stability in uncertainty
I remember your taunting tendrils – just
Out of touch while the smaller hearts lay beneath
My own, even now

When your essence no longer offers
Succor, your essence is early mornings
Scrabble games, tiny shops in small towns
Old friends, good conversation, new love,
Old love, relief, joy, grief

In the miasma of chaotic surroundings
The zephyr of your fragrance can lead
Me home

4 comments:

Wayne Pitchko said...

im not a big coffee drinker...but love the smell...also the smell of your reminds me of my dads love for his morning coffee...and how i just loved the aroma

Wayne Pitchko said...

should read ...smell of your poem reminds me

markoolio said...

I love these lines, "Your acrid tendrils tickling seducing
Your tang burning engraving itself on my psyche."

That totally captures my imagination.

Wonderful!

~Mark

Lori said...

Thanks so much Wayne and Mark! I really appreciate your comments a lot!

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think. Please feel free to comment.