Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

NaPoWriMo #6


Today's prompt from ReadWritePoem was one that challenged me a bit. It prompted us to use an image that spoke to us. I have done this before using images from my childhood home, but I decided to push myself a little and use something new.

This is the image I chose. It was the picture that challenged because the prompt questions made me ask difficult questions. This is the result. I am not at all happy with the title or the last line, but I will need some time (or maybe suggestions???) for that.

Infinite Longing

She pleads, stay

Rising to his hand

Teasing, he runs his image
Over her inky skin
scattered blue on an obsidian canvas

cratered blue rounding
still alluring, perfection is misshapen in reflection


But she isn't capable of stillness
It's not in her nature –

Her surface may belie tranquillity, her depths
When plumbed are perpetual motion


Yet it is he that moves her

Moon and Ocean, ever drawn together
infinite longing





Here is another picture prompt poem that I wrote lately and was published here.

Unseen Harvest

A favourite photograph
Pictures my father
Grey overalls and tattered cap atop salt and peppered hair
Standing, back to the camera
Unaware
While he surveys his crop
With the broad prairie sky beyond.

A solitary man against a field of black
And an endless sky of blue
Pondering the tiny shoots
Yet unseen
Upon which rest his future
His family’s future.

All his hopes
Depend on the still, quiet seeds
Painstakingly planted.

And just as he was not aware
Of the lens and unseen observer
Capturing this moment,

I wonder if he knows how
His faith in those roots, now grown
And blossoming have shown me
Promises of another harvest.

©2009 Lori Wiens-MacDonald

8 comments:

Robin said...

Love both your poems, Lori. Great work!

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, nicely done, I love the internal rhymes in Infinite Longing and that line about the cap atop salt and peppered hair in Unseen Harvest. Phew!

Lori said...

Thanks Robin and Andy! You are very kind. Any suggestions about a better title for the first would be very much appreciated.

Robin said...

Lori, I stink at titles, but I actually like the title you have. I'd let it be.

flaubert said...

Lori,
This is nocely done! Good work!
Pamela

Eryl said...

This is great, I especially love: 'perfection is misshapen in / reflection.' I think the title works, the moon and the ocean, after all, never actually get to touch.

Lori said...

Thanks Pamela and Eryl. Your comments are very much appreciated!! I love reading what lines people enjoy -- helps me focus on the good stuff that is working. :)

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading both these picture portraits but especially the first. And I love the line that Eryl picked out too.

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think. Please feel free to comment.